Just yesterday, I was having dinner with a friends and learnt that the iPad can tether with the iPhone for 3G with Bluetooth. I’ve always thought that the Wifi method was the only medium possible, but with Bluetooth option available now, it uses less battery!
To enable Personal Hotspot pairing between an iPad and an iPhone, follow these instructions:
- On both iPhone and iPad, turn “Bluetooth” ON.
- On the iPhone, turn “Wifi” OFF.
- Turn “Personal Hotspot” ON.
- Choose “Bluetooth + USB” option, if prompted.
- On the iPad, go to the Bluetooth menu, and select the iPhone from the list of devices.
- Confirm pairing, if prompted, and 3G data should now be available on the iPad.
To stop tethering (i.e. to save power), follow these steps:
- On the iPhone, turn off “Personal Hotspot”.
- On both iPad and iPhone, turn off “Bluetooth”, if so desired.
Hopefully this would help when you’re overseas and you’ve only got a data-enabled sim-card on your iPhone.